Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bubbly JPA - 07 Students

It was a year ago that I started this blog, right after the trial examination when so many worried students asking me about practical examinations: - How would it be and who will be invigilating the actual examinations? It was set up hoping to calm you down and I am glad that it did. How time flies.
It was as though not long ago that you all lined up in MPH to collect your student handbook on 2nd July 2007. So obediently lined up in rows and only dare to whisper, not talking, let alone talking aloud. Not much of impressions then as you were just as raw as any other intake students.
Later, when divided into classes, I was assigned to teach Physics to JPA1 and JPA2 classes. You are still “fresh” from school then - when I asked a question, you would stand up and answer and would not sit down if I didn’t ask you to do so. I guess the impression of me then was stern and unfriendly. During my lessons, many think that I victimize you by asking you more frequent than the others. Some of you were making faces behind my back, but not to me, it was to your friends. Some of you have to “air your tongue” occasionally. Nowadays you are more interested in the pattern of the wood grains on your table than my questions.
JPA1 were the high-brows, you prefer to seek out the answers yourselves before you decided to ask me. Even then, it is far in-between. JPA2 were, shall I say more passionate and more expressive then. Later, when JPA3 was dissolved and joined the two Physics classes that I have, the class population swelled.
Towards the end of 1st semester, students started to seek my help in Physics, but you are strictly business. You were not at ease to talk to me on other matters.
Then came the 2nd semester and some of you started to come to me and talked to me, not only on academic but other things as well. Some will just “baby talk” to me. You are like my children when they were in primary school. They will talk to me when they came back from school. Just talk about the school, the teachers, their friends, their school bus. They just talk and talk and talk but didn’t’ expect responds from me. Some of you will talk to me on your ambitions, your “dreams”, your worries and shared with me your happiness. You even seek my help when you have stomach-ache, tooth-ache and sore throat. I offered help wherever and whenever I can. Mind mine, messages came in even in the wee hours of the night. You somehow replace the vacant space left behind by my children who have since found their own world. I started to grow fond of the JPA students. I started to treat you like my own children. Sometimes I might forget that you were not my “real” children, I might have said things that might have offended you. If that’s the case, I am sorry. But you are not telling me!
The third semester was a hectic one because of the massive unit 4 and unit 5 you have to sit for at the end of the semester. The teachers are working hard and rush to finish the syllabi and the students are working equally hard to get ready for the examinations. I gave extra classes to ease the pace, but that didn’t go down well with some of you. Nevertheless, I continued with the extra classes. I started to see some tired faces and tensions were high then.
At the start of the 4th semester (the final semester), some of you came to my house to “bai nien”. The BBQ party was a nice one, there were laughers all round. The laughter that were missing from this house for a long time already. As I mingled from one small group to another, I looked at those still innocent faces and listen to those laughers that came out straight from the hearts, with no pretends. I bid farewell to all silently and wish you all the best. I will miss you for a long time.
Through the two years, I taught you Physics principles and learn from you some bad habits. I learnt to use those words such as leh, mah, loh, wor and the “harno”. I learnt to use and like the sms using the hand phone, and latter the msn. I used to enjoy talking to you through sms, only to know latter that I actually annoyed some. Sorry.
I like to watch war movies in my younger days, especially those involved dog-fights and the paratroopers. Every time before the mission, the commander-in-chief will brief his pilots and concluded the briefing with “Gentlemen, it’s a pleasure serving with you” and salute. He said this because he didn’t know whether he will see them again.
Well, the A-Level programme for the JPA 07 is coming to an end and, I have this to say to you too :-- “Ladies and young men, it’s a pleasure to have you in my Physics class”.


“We make them cry those who care for us
We cry for those who never care for us
And
We care for those who will never cry for us”



This is the truth of life, it’s strange but true. Once you realize this, it’s never too late to change.

Adios and bon voyage

No promisses : Tiada janji : Mei2 you3 cheng2 nuo4

12 comments:

Aik Jin said...

Sir, nice post!
Sir, it's our pleasure for us to attend your Physics class too!

Sir, I would like to express my utmost thanks and gratitude for teaching, guiding us all along the way..

Sir, I love you!
Keep in touch and all the best in life!

nur ili nadiah said...

sir, thank u! thank u! for everything~
I'll keep on reading ur blog so keep writing sir, hehe

sheila ramaniganthan said...

sir, never thought you will go to this extent...
you were always like a father to me here..
im really going to miss you sir..
will definitely come and visit you whenever i have free time..
thanks for everything my dearest mr tan!!!
we love you!!!

g_yean_i said...

sir, you wrote a great post! and it's really touching.. I don't know what other ways to express my gratitude to you! But seriously, I appreciate what you as well as others lecturers have done for us! We know and we'll always know the love that you all have towards us!

To me,
you're not just a lecturer;
you're like a father, that teaches me what life is and i love to listen to your philosophy of life so much!!!

I'll definitely miss a great lecturer like you!

Love you, sir!
Please do keep in touch and take care~

Unknown said...

Sir it is nice of being able to attend your physics class. So far, you are my greatest physics lecturer. You will always be my lecturer for entire of my life. Here, I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude over your help not only in academic but in my daily life. Not forgetting, I would to seek apology for any of my misconduct and mispoken. Here, I decided to recite a poem to sir as my appreciation towards sir.

Sonnet For An Unforgettable Teacher

Mr Tan,
When I began your class I think I knew
The kind of challenges you'd make me face.
You gave me motivation to pursue
The best, and to reject the commonplace.

Your thinking really opened up my mind.
With wisdom, style and grace, you made me see,
That what I'd choose to seek, I'd surely find;
You shook me out of my complacency.

I thank you now for everything you've done;
What you have taught me I will not outgrow.
Your kind attention touched my mind and heart;
In many ways that you will never know.

I will remember you my whole life through;
I wish that all my teachers were like you.

Thank you and I love you sir. Keep in touch and we shall meet in the future.

-DaN- said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
siewleng said...

Sir,
We won't be who we are today, if it wasn't for your love and support towards us.
We used to be lost, we used to be worried. We misbehaved, we dissapointed you.
Nonetheless, you have never fail....
To show us the love of a teacher...
You were always there to care for us, to bring us comfort and to guide us to the right path.
When we were lost, it's really great to know that we can turn to you, like a father that we can always count on. and sometimes I wonder, who are we to deserve you...
I can't help but think how lucky and fortunate we are to have someone that care for us so deeply...and sir, we are sorry for our immature behaviour, really sorry...Although we are your students for only two years, you have left unwashable footprints in my heart...Your words, your advice and your love are the invaluable assets that I will carry in heart forever, and they will be the motivation when facing future challenges in life. Sir, you are really great...and words could never express, the gratitude and respect I have towards you.

无论我们走到哪儿.
永远记住你的情,

无论我们走到哪儿.
永远记住您的话.

无论我们走到哪儿.
永远记住您的爱,

无论我们走到哪儿.
永远是您的孩子。

-DaN- said...

Sir! U might had spotted me posting a comment and deleted it. It was an accident! coz I typed merely one word ''sir'' and pressed ''enter'', there goes the short comment. haha.

What I wanted to say is that, you had taught me much, both the aspects of academic and non-academic. I like talking to you sir, but I love *listening* to you even more.

All the lecturers had inspired me, to aspire to become a lecturer in the future. By the experience of learning from a great teacher like you, I hope I will have the chance to educate the next generation as good as you did.

Thank you, sir! I'll definitely continue reading your blog as this shall be the bridge linking all of us together!

Ani Norfarah said...

Sir, thanks a lot for everything! =)
Sorry for anything wrong i've done to you. I may disappoint u somehow even if I'm not aware of it..

Thank u for every help u gave us.. Keep writing ur blog cuz i'll be reading it sir.. =)

Desiree said...

Sir,

THANKS for everything.
The posh restaurant treat, it will be soon, hehe..after i come back from UK.

Pinkie123 said...

Dear Mr Tan, haha, I think I'm the latest one who just read this post. lol. I tend to address you as teacher rather than sir actually, although it sounds a bit childish (izzit so??) hehe..so just let me call u teacher here..

Teacher, your words are great. They just striked deeply into my heart as I "greet" each of them. I guess everyone of us feels the same too..

The kindness and love you bestowed upon us, can never be repaid by just words.As you let us feel how warm it is to have received the kindness from such a great lecturer, we learn how to be kind to other people as well. The good deeds and love will spread continuously and it never ends.

"A teacher affects eternity;He can never tell where his influence stops."
Thanks for letting me know what it means, through yr actions and yr words.

Despite the separation which is a must,it doesn't put a full stop to our relationship. Life's made up of a series of commas..who knows when we are overseas we would love to rely on you to share our problems and joys! haha..and I'm looking forward to tea time gatherings whenever we're back to malaysia! hehe.So, how can u say goodbye to us that early leh??

Life mayb unpredictable but we always have hope and faith on tomorrow. We may not be meeting each other after that but we live in each other's heart.

Have a nice day, teacher! Just wanna let you know you're so great! I admire you truly from my heart! Rmb to keep writing o!

yasmeenibrahim said...

i miss u Mr Tan (T.T)